3D transforms, keyframes, obj import, modular feature.

This is the forum, where you can add your wishes and feature requests.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

gabrielefx

3D transforms, keyframes, obj import, modular feature.

Post by gabrielefx »

I see that some effects have their own position option.
But how to move back and forth an effect in the 3d space, scale it, rotate it?
Would be nice to have the possibility to import simple 3d objects (obj), move them, etc.
I understand that I can cue effects in time but a keyframe option would be better.
Imagine to import a simple 3d object. I can scale, rotate, deform, twist, bend, etc, into my led matrix.
I like the layer feature but if you add the node-modular feature we can create easily more effects.
Example:
I import the obj object, it's the first node.
I attach to it a mover node and I keyframe the object position.
Then I can add an explode node. All pixel will be moved outward the matrix.
I could create fountains with special node emitters (particles)
I can add a gravity node
With presets we can create a very limited range of effects.
With scripts we could create infinite effects but creative people don't know how to code a particle generator with scripts.
BTW Madrix 3 is a good start to create the most powerful procedural lighting generator.
Regards
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: 3D transforms, keyframes, obj import, modular feature.

Post by Fritzsche »

I can understand your "node system" idea. It reminds me of Quartz Composer.
However, I won't be able to give much comments about such a system and MADRIX right now.

But I want to point you towards the advanced mapping features of MADRIX, where you can already rotate, map, and scale effects as you wish: http://help.madrix.com/m3/html/madrix/h ... ialog.html
gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx »

yes we can move, scale, rotate the mapping but we can't animate it. These are fixed transformations.
gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx »

I have the answer: MAX (cycling)

you could create an input to route Max output to Madrix.

I don't know if it is possible to do it now.

cheers!
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Hi gabrielefx,
first off all thanks yor all your comments and hints.
regarding your idea to route the output of MAX to MADRIX i think you made a mistake.
MAX (or any other kind of 3D Software) made a 3D projection, therefor the result is a 2D image.
MADRIX 3 is able to create real 3D voxel and process a volume rendering (3D image).
regarding the node system i agree with you it would be a fantastic tool to be creative, unfortunately we haven´t and it is not developed so fast :(
regarding tools for animating, also cool, but as like as the node system is the question if MADRIX is a creation/animation tool?
It is not possible to say defenitely no because of the lot of possibilties inside MADRIX to create new content like the layers whith the mix modes. But on the same side it is not possible to say defenitely yes because the job of MADRIX is at first to control LED´s in a easy way. Creation of animations is maybe the job of a second tool like Maya or After Effects.
reagrding the import of obj files.
You are not the first person which ask for that. But again MADRIX did not made a 3D projection, MADRIX rasterize a image in 3D.
Lets say you have a 20x20x20 voxel matrix, which is already a expensive installation currently, and you import a simple object like a apple or a cup. I am sure the result you will see is for sure not what you have expect. First because the resolution is still to small, second the LED´s cover each other.
I did not say we never implement this feature but i think there are currently more important feature we will realize first.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx »

thank you for the answer.
I was talking about Max msp Cycling and not 3DS Max.
If Madrix can output the live video of a webcam in theory the Max msp output can be routed to a special directx driver in Madrix.
Plugin is the answer.
Ableton live uses Max as virtual instrument/effect generator.
Max can handle not only audio but video.
For example I could create an oscilloscope and route the Max audio out to the Matrix audio in.
In Max you can do a lot of things because it uses nodes, the output could be routed in Madrix.
This is a crazy idea.
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Ok, get it and agree, but still possible only for 2D output.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)